Wolf River Coil question

I have a Wolf River Coils antenna (the SB1000, tripod base and collapsible whip) that I may finally have a chance to play with. Looking for any tips on usage or quick setup.

Today I am going to use it on 10m. My goal is to reach someone in Guantanamo. With some practice I’m hoping to take it with me to RMNP this July and operate portable.

Scott, N0SAB

Good morning, Scott!

No experience with your type of antenna. The RMNP trips sounds like great fun. Keep us posted and let us know when you are about to operate there. Would love a chance to work you. I’ll keep an eye out for you on 10m today.

Good luck with KG4. Have not heard them on the air for a while from here.

I just wanted to post a quick follow-up about the Wolf River Coils antenna. I have it setup on the roof of our school building right now. It is about 100’ from the ocean and about 40’ above sea level. We’re crazy busy winding down the school year, but last week while grading papers, I was able to check in to the Maritime Mobile Service Net on 14.300. The net control during that hour was Pete W3ENK in Beaufort, NC.

So far, I’m quite pleased with the antenna. I did find a very helpful video on youtube that provided some initial starting points for tuning different bands.

Here’s the video: Wolf River TIA Coil - Setup Tips

and here is a pic of my spreadsheet, it is the same data he shows in the video.

If anyone would like the actual spreadsheet, let me know.

Scott, N0SAB

2 Likes

Just heard a ham in WI working stations on 20m with the antenna you mentioned here, Scott. He was strong for a while but there’s a lot of QSB tonight. Working a lot of stations. It gets out. His call is KD9LFN. You might contact him with your questions or request for tips. He was running a Yaesu FT- 891 with it.

But it sounds like you have it well in hand now.