NWS Storm Spotter Training

NWS encourages anyone with an interest in public service to join the SKYWARN® program. Volunteers include police and fire personnel, dispatchers, EMS workers, public utility workers, and other concerned private citizens. Individuals affiliated with hospitals, schools, churches, and nursing homes or who have a responsibility for protecting others are encouraged to become a spotter. Training is free and typically lasts about 2 hours. You’ll learn:

• Basics of thunderstorm development
  • Fundamentals of storm structure
  • Identifying potential severe weather features
  • Information to report
  • How to report information
  • Basic severe weather safety

Based on the unpredictable weather NWA has experienced recently my thoughts are, any rational human of modest intellect should attend a SKYWARN class. I am planning to attend. The last weather episode at Prairie Creek has convinced me. I must no longer be the typical California transplant that stands outside watching the storm in amazement. It is time to come to terms with the real safety risk our area can invoke at any time. If only for the Basic Severe Weather Safety aspect of the class, I will be wise to attend the class. Thank You Jonathan for keeping this on the "front burner ". Informative posts as yours will make this forum wealthy with value… 73

Unfortunately, this training is right on top of the monthly meeting. Second unfortunately, I have been scheduled for work out of town and won’t be able to attend either.