Let’s play some trivia! Week of February 2nd

I want to start posting some weekly trivia as I think it’ll be a fun community activity. I’ll post these weekly on Sunday (I’m a day early this week) and set the polls to end on Thursday. Rules:

• Feel free to discuss options but let’s try to play fair and not google the question.
  • Feel free to look up keywords from the question or do your research if you need to, just refrain from copy pasting the whole question :slight_smile:

Enough of the “rules”, let’s get this party started!

Who was the first ham to transmit from space via Amateur Radio?

• Dave Garroway
  • Owen Garriott
  • Gary Owens
  • Garrett Phillips

0 voters

Shane will not cheat at trivia because he loves his friends. Although he monitors the AMSAT website daily. Therefore, Shane believes he nailed the trivia question… 73

1 Like

Wish I could play, but that would be cheating. Let’s see your guesses before this round closes :+1:

Owen Kay Garriott was born in Enid, Oklahoma, on November 22, 1930, to Owen and Mary Catherine Garriott (née Mellick). Owen’s middle name was based on his mother’s middle name. He was a Boy Scout (earning the rank of Star Scout), and graduated from Enid High School in 1948, where he served as senior class president and was voted “Most Likely To Succeed.” He received a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from the University of Oklahoma in 1953, where he was a member of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity. He was also the elected president of the senior class. He later earned a Master of Science and Ph.D. degrees from Stanford University in electrical engineering in 1957 and 1960, respectively.

His second space flight was aboard STS-9 (Spacelab-1) in 1983, a multidisciplinary and international mission of 10 days aboard Space Shuttle Columbia. Over 70 separate experiments in six different disciplines were conducted, primarily to demonstrate the suitability of Spacelab for research in all these areas. He operated the world’s first amateur radio station from space, W5LFL, which expanded into an important activity on dozens of shuttle flights, Space Station Mir and the International Space Station, with scores of astronauts and cosmonauts participating.

I believe Shane did too. Good job! Hopefully we will get some more participation going forward!