I broke it and tried to fix it!

C65E531B-BCA0-4FCE-8A46-F8CCC601867E

So the thin cord pulled out of the connector. I remove the original rubber connector, put the cord into the connector then wrapped it with electricians’ tape. Will it work? Will I blow something up it I test it ?

Generally this is a bad idea. Coax actually has two conductors (thus the name), the inner core and the outer shield. If you just stuff the cable back in and tape it you will likely be risking a short. Some connectors may allow this cheat if you roll the shielding back to come in contact with the connector housing, but the correct way to repair this is to properly solder everything back in its place inside the connector.

Those tiny HT adapter cables make me nervous I’m going to break them every time I touch them :slight_smile:

Good luck with them.

Based on an instinct, and the same experience, I would not use that cable. It is finished serving you efficiently.

Here’s a pretty good video on new install of a PL-259. Haven’t found any as good on the SO-239. This is an install without a crimper. If you are going to be doing this on a regular basis, you might want to invest in the tool.

I’ve yet to do any coax repair, so others here probably have some better advice.

GL and 73

I’ll just echo what they said . . If you repair make sure the conductors are connected right.

I’ll also echo the crimper for PL259.

The little cable was serving me well. I now have my radio and “stuff” in he living room. The big black cable is going under a window and I have the gap at the bottom of the window, taped up to keep the little critters out.

I have another delicate cable which connects directly from the big black cable to my handheld.
I decided to support the delicate cable with tape…in the same manner as you would the cable to your cell phone. The original connections are intact but extra tape wrapped around the cable to hold it stable and prevent breakage.

Are you saying the wire itself is still secured in the connector, but the black sleeve/support where the cable enters the connector is what actually came loose? If that is the case, you are good to go with the added tape to secure things.

Not sure if it will help take pressure off of those potential stress points in your situation, but I loop mine through the belt clip to keep them from being able to swing around when I am using them. You still have to be a little careful about yanking on the coax and pulling the loop tight.

20200526_1006141

I have two. one is to connects two larger black outside cables. The delicate connector is to go under the window easily. The one which goes under the window… the wire pulled out of the socket. IMG_1248|375x500

I have another delicate cable which connects the black outside cable to my hand held (like your picture, the male/female parts might be different for Yeasu). I reinforced the one not broken.

IMG_1247

IMG_1248

I’m not expert here but that last photo looks like one of the cables I have. In my case there is a solder joint on the inside of the fitting. Maybe the solder has come loose and allowed the cable to slip out?

I wonder how much power can be sent through that smaller cable. I was thinking about using one on my handheld radio in the car. My radio is only 5 watts maximum.

Perfectly fine for that use Van :+1: i wouldn’t want to connect it to my actual mobile unit, but it does great with my 8w HT to the mag mount.

I think that jumper for through window use is one I bought for Susan from R&L electronics. It is quite short so it would be fine for VHF / UHF used in a very short configuration. A long stretch of it would be unsatisfactory and maybe a hindrance to VHF / UHF. Unless you need just something to jump through a window or door. VHF / UHF signals don’t do well with lots of connection points especially at lower powers. In fact most avid VHF guys try to eliminate as many connectors as possible and demand N type connectors of the Silver species…