HamBus Info and Status

Hi,

I would like to tell everyone about an Open Source project that I have started and have been working on for a little over a year (but interrupted by my horse show management software). I have used a lot of software packages for ham radio with a few different radios. There is a common problem with a lot of fairly complex and brittle solutions. The project as I said is Open Source which means it is free and always will be free.

This problem is there is only one connection to the radio and it must be exclusive and on the same system. Yes, there are utilities and software to split ports and other games to share the port.

My grand goal is to have everything to be able to talk to everything else anywhere.

Just imagine:

• Installing some new HamBus enabled logging software as it starts:

• it discovers your radio and you don’t have to set ports, speed, BPS, etc for it.
    • it knows what database(s) to save your log entries to, even on the cloud.
    • it knows all your station information
    • it knows how to spot your DX contacts on your DX-Clusters
    • it knows the status of awards.
    • Check for needed DX and alert you
  • Installing a HamBus enabled digital application that is able to:

• control your radio and send log entries to your logbook(s).
    • Send a list of received stations to check for wanted stations.
  • Being able to use any ham software by pointing it to a virtual radio (will require virtual serial ports on Windows)

• Have N number of radios that are kept in sync (or not) with each other.

• HamBus will work on major operating systems such as Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry PI, etc.

• HamBus is fully networked, so it can work across the room or the world.

This is all done with about the same configuration as a single logbook application.

Status

Virtual Rig is almost done. This will allow any application to talk to HamBus and forward it down the bus. I except I will finish it by the beginning of April.

MasterBus is the application that is the sorting center. Everything goes through it. It is working but is a work in progress.

RigBus is the only part that talks to the radio. This is very dependent on the radio and therefore one of the hardest buses to build. I haven’t gotten very far on that. I will start on the Kenwood command set as my two main radios uses the Kenwood command set.

As you can see I have a lot of work to do and could use some help in the following area:

• Web pages
  • C# programming
  • Angular/Typescript programming
  • User manual writing.
  • Testing the software
  • Nginx admin

I hope I have giving you an idea of the HamBus is all about and how it will be useful.

Let me know what you think.

Darryl WA1GON

2 Likes

This is AWESOME! I’m only understanding about half of it at the moment because I don’t have much knowledge of radio passed my Technician license (yet). I could definitely help with some of this as time allows, but would benefit from some research/teaching of controlling radios over serial.

In what situation would software like this be applicable? For example, I’ve been talking with @KI5FAQ (albeit briefly) about convincing my parents to let us put a tower up on their property with the goal of having an internet controlled HF rig that we could both use. I live in an apartment so antenna towers are not a luxury I can afford.