Contest University - Free and Online May 14

Edit: 5/15/2020 - KØJWG: Contest University is over, but you can watch the full feed from the YouTube recap.

Original Topic
So whether you are just interested in making contacts for an award, or field day, a state QSO party, or want to actually participate in serious contesting activity, Contest University has been training hams in how to make contesting style contacts on the air for a long time.

This year, the in-person Contest University has been cancelled, but it is proceeding online and it is FREE. You have the register, but look at the agenda on the course outline page!

Past Tutorial Files and Videos are also on the website. A great resource! Plus, they are giving away an Icom 7610!!!

Register today!

2 Likes

I may need to look into this. Contesting was not something that really interested me initially, but through your posts I’m starting to see the value in contesting for strengthening your skill set.

2 Likes

Same. I am interested in contesting. And if this is a free course even better. Thanks for sharing Scott!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s FREE and you get a shot at a 7610! Be sure to read the rules and register. I think you basically have to be online with the group during the hall of fame induction, which is the last event of the day. Great opportunity! I signed up this evening and am looking forward to it.

1 Like

Yep. It’s all about becoming a better operator.

1 Like

CU live now. It will be recorded and available later also.

Live YouTube feed.

The third presentation by N6TV, “Everything You Need to Know About USB and Serial Interfaces” was excellent. When you get ready to connect a radio to your computer, watch this!

If you registered and want a shot at the 7610, you will need to be on zoom for the last session at 5:00 p.m. CDT.

2 Likes

More notes:

Session five: Digital Contesting Hints and Kinks, discusses RTTY and FT4/8 contesting.

Session six: Optimizing your station for Contest Operations. Very good survey of problem areas and the need for maintenance of your station.

Session seven: Grounding and Bonding for Contest Stations. Good survey of how to protect your station from surges, spikes and lightning.

All good general topics with some applications to contesting, but things all hams need to be aware of.

Don’t forget to check out their videos and files in the website link above for many, many useful topics.