Chasing DX Report for August 28

There has been some good DXing opportunities over the past couple of weeks. I have enough contacts now, that it’s rewarding to chase awards on a number of fronts: new DX, same old DX on different bands, trying to add to Worked All Zones (five zones left to get), and Worked All States Triple Play and WAS Five Bands. So when conditions are not good for one, I can usually find something worthwhile to add to totals.

I’ve been wondering why I never see any DC callsigns on FT8 JTAlert. The only one ever was with the World Bank Radio Station for a couple of days last winter or early Spring. So I set up Ham Alert to send me an alerts for any DC station on any mode received by a CQ 4 zone, and I get 5-6 or more a day–all on CW so far! Mostly region 3 and 4 signs. So will try to pick one of those up one day soon.

New LOTW confirms: HI on CW this week, my second China contact (FT8), Ascension Island (SSB) and Sardinia (FT8). I am waiting on Guernsey–finally picked that one up, again thanks to Ham Alert–Crete, and Market Reef. I already have Jersey and Isle of Man. If you are not familiar with these islands, look them up. They have pretty interesting histories.

QSL cards received in July/August: South Cook Island, North Macedonia, Norfork Island VK9NK, and Kamchatka Russia UA0ZC. The VK9 card was for a QSO March1. Janusz (SP9FIH) operated a one man DX expedition from Norfork Island from March through the middle of July. He stayed longer than expected because of quarantine and lack of transportation off the island. It was good for us and earned him some recognition as first in digital DXpeditions (https://gdxf.de/megadxpeditions/singleop.php) with 174 days and 57,802 QSOs! That’s 332 QSOs a day for one man! I worked him twice (on 20 and 17m) and saw him often on the air. His blog is at: http://vk9nk.dxpeditions.org/ .

Just have three DX cards out now I am waiting on: French Guiana, Malta, and Vanuatu. Time to send out some more I guess.

Stateside cards received were, N7C Navajo Code talkers SES (FT8 and CW), W9I Illinois State Fair SES (CW), and Clark County Radio Club SES (SSB) in WA.

Listened to North Cook Island E51WL all evening Friday calling on 17m FT8. Tried to work him when he was strongest (-9), but he wasn’t strong enough.

Very nice to have radio as a hobby so I don’t have to listen to the news or watch TV.

Got to reminiscing about old turntable and shortwave radio consoles I remember from the 1950/60s and found a couple described online. Wouldn’t you love to have one of these?

Grundig 9070

or this?

Hope everyone is well and thriving,

1 Like

Man Scott, your success doesn’t seem to slow down with these contacts. Keep it up! I love those old consoles, and have fond memories of my grandfather’s as a focal point in their living room. My sister and I used to love listening to his WW2 era records and dancing to USO favorites. I wish I had been old enough to have asked for it when they got rid of it.

1 Like

Good photo on that mighty console. If my eyes don’t deceive me, there may be a candy dish with Grandma’s favorite dime store ribbon candy. The wonderful unwrapped kind, in bold Christmas colors, securely bonded together in a geometric frazzle of delicious choke hazards. It was always by the radio, we always ate some, it hurt our teeth. It was made before ‘best if used by dates’ and Grandma had an endless supply ( purchased 1938 ) lasting well into the late 1970’s. When we arrived at Grandma’s wake the bowl had been moved to the dinning table to set beside the catered giant sub sandwich and punch bowl. The console radio in all it’s grandeur will not outlast the ribbon candy. Sorry, I was moved by nostalgia…73

2 Likes

Yeah, nowadays, those consoles are a liability and good luck finding any that have working electronics. But they were artful pieces of furniture in their day, along with the candy dishes. LOL

My first shortwave listening experience was on one of them. Likely an RCA stereo unit at my aunt and uncles outside Detroit where I heard French Canadian stations.

1 Like