Big Contest Weekend

This isn’t exclusively for DXers though. Contest started last night. Good time to listen to 80, 40, 20, and 17 meters.

I made a couple of US contacts on FT8 on 10m and picked up NP2 (US Virgin Islands) this afternoon. Guy confirmed on LOTW almost instantly. Love it! I’m still waiting for some confirmations stretching back into last July.

Storms east of here though seem to be slowing the band activity for DX tonight. I heard Jonesboro had a tornado with damage. See www.kait8.com/. A few injuries.

Didn’t find any new stations I needed for DXCC other than NP2. Sunday evening the bands started clearing of the contesters and conditions were good for FT8. I had a brief shot at China (BH8) before it disappeared.

Later in the evening I worked ZM4TT on the south island of New Zealand. The callsign is a bit unusual and listed on QRZ as a “Contest Call and Special Purpose Call for ZL4TT. NZ RSM has approved the use of ZM calls during the Covid-19 emergency.” Bittersweet I guess.

Right after that call I worked a WL7 station in Valdez, AZ. Looking forward to what the week might bring. I think I only need about 7 more countries and QSLs for those and 16 others.

Have a great week on the radio!

1 Like